The Sponsored Program Administration (SPA) Office within the Division of Research is responsible for the institutional oversight for Wayne State University’s external sponsored programs. In this capacity, SPA provides service to three distinct groups: 1) faculty, 2) the University, and 3) the sponsors. SPA plays a role throughout the lifecycle of the project that includes:
- Proposal preparation and submission.
- Award acceptance.
- Successful completion of the project objectives.
In these days of shrinking state appropriations and their subsequent impact on institutional budgets, it is critical that we find alternative funding sources to accomplish the activities that meet the objectives of our respective colleges, departments and units. Although there is a tendency to focus on research based programs, SPA’s mission is to assist WSU faculty and staff in attaining funding from these sources. Just as important, after funds are awarded we ensure that they are utilized in a manner that meets both the institution’s and the sponsor’s expectations.
- Sponsored Project Fundamentals
- May 22 2013 at 10:00 AMScott HallIs it a gift? Is it a grant? Are there any expectations? A multitude of challenges faces those involved in sponsored projects administration: Becoming knowledgeable about federal regulations, individual agency and university requirements; providing assistance to faculty; gathering information for proposals; proper administration of awards This program aims to provide participants with a broad overview of the various aspects involved in sponsored projects administration, including: distinguishing types of sponsored projects, preparation and review of proposals; negotiation and acceptance of awards; financial and administrative management, closeout and audit, as well as relevant compliance issues.
- May 29 2013 at 10:00 AMPurdy/Kresge LibraryWhat is cost sharing? When is it applied? How is it tracked? What is the university policy regarding cost sharing? Answers to these questions and more will be addressed when SPA Training & Development hosts Cost Sharing Basics on Thursday June 28, 2012. This training session is geared toward faculty and research administration staff new to or unfamiliar with basics relating to cost sharing but also serves as a refresher to the experienced research professional.
- Working with SPA
- June 5 2013 at 10:00 AMScott HallThis training program follows the life-cycle of a grant from cradle to grave and discusses what role SPA plays in each area of proposal development and grant management.
- WSU Research Administrators Meeting
- June 13 2013 at 9:00 AMScott HallThe Sponsored Program Administration office is hosting a monthly meeting for research administrators. Meetings alternate between main campus and the School of Medicine. This meeting is a forum to discuss research administration current events, activities and other important topics that assist WSU grant managers across campus. In addition to grant managers, others involved in the grant administration process are invited to attend.
- June 19 2013 at 10:00 AMUndergraduate LibrarySponsored Program Administration is pleased to offer a hands-on tutorial and demonstration of Coeus eProp, WSU’s on-line proposal development and submission tool. Space is limited. Reminder: individual or small group training sessions for eProp can be scheduled at anytime – please contact Tim Foley, SPA Training Coordinator, for details at 577-8357 or email email@example.com
- More Events